Translate

Thursday, September 24, 2026

BEATIFICATION OF ARCHBISHOP FULTON J. SHEEN, SAINT LOUIS…

 I can remember when I was in the seminary hearing many in the seminary declaring that Archbishop Sheen’s talks and homilies were soooo-pre-Vatican II and no longer relevant for the Church after Vatican II…he was sooo outdated!

What nonsense! But we bought that hook, line and sinker! Sad, so very sad!

He who has the last word, has the last laugh!

VINDICATION!

5 comments:

Daniel Martin said...

When I was younger, I had the privilege to serve Bl. Bishop Sheen's side altar Mass and receive Holy Communion from him. What an honor. May he pray for all of us!

TJM said...

We need a strong voice in the media today like Archbishop Sheen!

Mark Thomas said...

In regard to various trads:

Blessed Fulton J, Sheen, a holy, and great son of Holy Mother, is viewed with mixed feelings.

Examples:

Decades ago, I had read extensively about Father Leonard Feeney.

Via his newsletter, he denounced Blessed Sheen as a progressive sellout who had watered-down the Faith in the name of ecumenical/interfaith relations.

Having read Father Feeney's writings, I am aware that the following from AI Overview is correct:

"Father Feeney criticized Fulton Sheen across two major fronts:

Theological "Liberalism": Feeney accused Sheen of watering down the Catholic faith to appease his massive non-Catholic audience. Because Sheen’s TV and radio shows (Life Is Worth Living) focused heavily on common moral ground, natural law, and combatting Communism, Feeney viewed Sheen's approach as a form of compromised, "spineless humanism" or religious indifferentism.

Ecumenical Tone: Because Sheen chose an evangelization style rooted in charity, intellect, and approachability, Feeney saw him as failing his duty as a shepherd."

=======

Certain trads have denounced Blessed Sheen's unrelenting support for Vatican II, the liturgical reform, as well as Pope Saint Paul VI.

Blessed Sheen also opposed Archbishop Lefebvre/SSPX. Blessed Sheen had warned against the incurrence of schism and heresy via attachment to an SSPX chapel.

Today, I have encountered via certain right-wing blogs the following general opinion of Blessed Fulton J. Sheen:

He, "unfortunately," in the name of loyalty to Holy Mother Church, had advanced in unrelenting fashion the supposed "Modernist" Vatican II Revolution.

Pax.

Mark Thomas

Mark Thomas said...

With Father McDonald's permission:

The Jackie Gleason Show. 35:37 mark.

A beautiful tribute from Blessed Fulton J. Sheen to his friend, Jackie Gleason — in particular, in honor of Mister Gleason's mother.

Very emotional.

Pax.

Mark Thomas

Mark Thomas said...

The Jackie Gleason Show, Blessed Fulton J. Sheen: 35:37 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LECbW1EzowY&t=2149s

Pax.

Mark Thomas