Translate

Saturday, July 13, 2024

I’M SEEING RED! WHEN IS TOO MUCH, TOO MUCH?


I am more Cistercian in my personal tastes as it concerns church decorations. My last pastor assignment in a modern and not ornate church, St. Anne’s in Richmond Hill, was/is my tastes for churches. I think that came from my time at St. Joseph Church in Augusta, where I grew up, which was a basic, very basic, A-frame building. But it was comfortable like a living room, to me, anyway. 

On top of that, Sacred Heart Church in Augusta, now closed and a cultural center, was a neo-gothic building, big and scary to me. It gave me the creeps as a child, because it looked like, to me, something out of a horror movie. I don’t feel that today, except for lingering impressions from childhood, pdst?

This is just a bit too ornate, too busy and too red for me. If I were assigned there, I wouldn’t do anything to redo it except move the altar railing lower to the first step of the nave leading to the altar. That would make it easier for us elderly to use it and not break out necks coming down from it, and make the sanctuary look bigger.

Your can read the full article:

The Beautification of St. Peter's in Volo, Illinois



No comments: