Translate

Saturday, January 14, 2012

RESERVE JUDGMENT UNTIL YOU'VE SEEN IT IN PERSON

San Francisco's St. Mary's Cathedral
Crystal Cathedral, Orange County
Los Angeles' Cathedral, Our Lady of the Angels
Christ the Light Cathedral Oakland: outside
Inside
I have a confession to make. I am fascinated by modern architecture. I actually like it. However I have mixed emotions about it when it comes to building new churches. Most modern parish churches are disasters.

However, I've just returned from a vacation to California and visited several cathedrals there briefly, all of them modern. When I saw these cathedrals in pictures, I was not bowled over but seeing them in person changed most of that.

My favorite is St. Mary's Cathedral in San Francisco. In person it is marvelous. It has wonderful art work in it and places for private devotions prayed in a public space. I loved it. But pictures don't do it justice.

My next favorite one is the Cathedral of Light in Oakland. I hated it when I saw pictures of it, but in person it won me over. I don't care for the altar and I think it could have had a better look to it, but overall it works, but one needs to see it in person. These cathedrals are more than churches, they also include gathering spaces and crypts. This cathedral has a stunning crypt for entombments.

Then I saw the Crystal Cathedral. It will continue to be used by Shuller's ministries for the next couple of years. There was no sign that ownership had changed and it would soon be a Catholic Cathedral. Again, the cost of the property includes not only the church but a great deal of wonderful land and office building. It is a campus. I like how it looks from the outside and fits into the culture of the area. I will be fascinated to see how it will look when it is renovated for Catholic Cathedral liturgies. There are all kinds of beautiful brass sculptures outside that are very "Catholic" looking. There is also a cemetery that is very well done and the list of donors on sidewalk plaques. I think these people may be turning in their graves. I'm not sure how all that will be handled.

Finally there is Los Angeles Cathedral. I did not like it. I did not like the location. I loved the crypt though. The altar area is cluttered. I did love the tapestries though. But again, one has to see it to make a critique. There are some nice aspects to it, but overall it was disappointing.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for posting photos of these cathedrals. When I was last in CA I went to Carmel Mission. Quite a difference! The photo of the Los Angeles Cathedral is the best I've seen.

Anonymous said...

I like 'modern' architecture, too. The problem is how tacky it can be. You can have Falling Water or Allentown. We had a famous statue of Jesus near my home called "Touchdown Jesus". Done by people with the most sincere affection for Christ, it was actually a 6 story mockery in, I kid you not, styrofoam. After about 6 years it was struck by lightening and burned in about ten minutes.

The question is how much of the work is about God, how much is about the artist, and how much is about the pastor that incites it. Does it draw attention to the Mass and inform as well as inspire? Or does it offer convenient distractions, well intentioned as art?

I had a similar conversation a few years ago with my uncle after a trip to Scandinavia. We were viewing a church with the distinctive modern Scandinavian wood and lines. I asked him if he felt the prevalence of that style in recent years was a cultural expression or only a commitment to modernism? He thought it was only a commitment to modernism.

So I think we need to be careful that we don't erect testaments to our fads that give proof to future generations to our vanity. OTOH, we can, with careful consideration, create wonderful houses of worship that capture important moments in time.

rcg

Anonymous said...

Insults to God, there is weeping in heaven.

Anonymous said...

Insults? The Almighty has made some pretty weird looking stuff.

The Platypus

Robert Kumpel said...

Except for the new building in Oakland, I've been to all these other ones Father, and I guess I'll just have to disagree with you on this one. I'll chalk it up as your own guilty pleasure, just as I have mine (modal jazz and pop art). And modern architecture CAN be interesting and even exhilarating at times. I'm just not convinced it's suited to the Eternal Sacrifice.

You picked a super place for a vacation (San Francisco especially is restaurant heaven) but I hope you got to see more of the Golden State than just the major metropolitan areas. Welcome back.

Templar said...

And we laugh at the Platypus too, as we should, he's funny looking. Perhaps that's why God made it so, for our amusement. Just like Modern Architecture. He inspires quacks to design them so we may remember to laugh.

+wordphan said...

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever." We must remember that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Thank you, Father Mac, for posting these so we may get a glimpse of other houses of worship. I guess "designing" outside the box has it's downside, many nonplussed critics!

David J. said...

I must say I like the interior of the Oakland Cathedral. I sdon't mind modern architecture when it comes to churches. Just as long as it is grand and unique, I am for it. What I detest is the plain, bland, generic "multi-purpose worship spaces" that are being passed off as suburban parishes. Good example is in the Archdiocese of Detroit, where Archbishop Vigneron is planning on closing and selling not just some beautiful historic churches, but many newer unique ones. The ones he wants to keep open? The plain, bland, generic multi-purpose buildings. Shame on him, and he'll never make Cardinal. I hope the Vatican committee for sacred architecture intervenes!

Bill said...

To reserve judgment on these designs will be a real test of will. And of charity.

Nice to have you back, Frajm. I was going into withdrawal!

rob said...

Bishop Brown, is also a steward of the finances of people of the diocese of Orange. Given the location of the Crystal Cathedral, the proximity to the interstate and several major state highways, $50million was a steal; especially during these economic times and these times of large payouts from the abuse crisis. $50 Mil is a good investment for these times. Later, when the economy recovers, the Doicese will still have this excellent location upon which to build a more beautiful and Catholic building. All things considered, not a bad move by Bishop Brown.

Fr. Allan J. McDonald said...

And it is more than the Crystal Cathedral. I was blown away by all the other buildings, huge amount of parking, and the nicely landscaped area. There is a high rise building and a building that will house a Cathedral school from what I understand--I will be fascinated to see how the cathedral building will be configured. I was somewhat shocked too by the need for upkeep in the cathedral--there are theater type seats that all need to be thrown out. Pews will enhance the space and a strong Catholic altar and hopefully some nice art work in the building--the San Francisco Cathedral has stunning art work in it and by stunning, I mean stunning.