Translate

Saturday, July 25, 2026

POPE LEO MAKES A VERY INTERESTING APPOINTMENT TO THE SUPREME TRIBUNAL OF THE APOSTOLIC SIGNATURA, ANY OTHER ONES IN THAT CROWD?

 Appointment of members of the Supreme Tribunal of the Apostolic Signatura

The Holy Father has appointed the following as members of the Supreme Tribunal of the Apostolic Signatura: Their Excellencies Archbishop Salvatore Joseph Cordileone of San Francisco, United States of America; Bishop Krzysztof Nitkiewicz of  Sandomierz, Poland; Bishop Juan Ignacio Arrieta Ochoa de Chinchetru, former Secretary of the DIcastery for Legislative Texts; Bishop Edward M. Lohse of Kalamazoo, United States of America; the Reverend Eduardo Baura de la Peña, full professor at the Faculty of Canon Law of the Pontifical University of the Holy Cross in Rome, Italy; the Reverend Gianpaolo Montini, full professor at the Faculty of Canon Law of the Collegium Maximum of the Pontifical Gregorian University in Rome; and the Reverend Father Ulrich Rhode, S.J., full professor at the Faculty of Canon Law of the Collegium Maximum of the Pontifical Gregorian University in Rome.

9 comments:

TJM said...

Deo Gratias! I was just coming here to tell you about this Father McDonald.
Cordileone is a huge supporter of the TLM and Liturgy in general.

rcg said...

Forgive me if this is non-sequitur to this thread: It seems to summarize some of the current questions and could be an agenda for the new appointees.

https://www.padreperegrino.org/2026/07/pits/

TJM said...

I assume the good Archbishop will soon be made a Cardinal!

White Pine said...

I personally wouldn't read much into this. However, I'm more interested in the choice of Bishop Lohse, as it's the second appointment he's gotten. I don't see an imminently free archdiocese for him though. If he speaks Spanish, then maybe.

Nick said...

Mike Lewis, recently posted about and appearing in the comments here, directly accused Archbishop Cordileone of "perpetuat[ing] an ideological and fundamentalist distortion of Catholicism" and of having "undermined the Magisterium for years"

Whoops. Sillier and sillier, like I said a few days ago.

Nick

Fr. Allan J. McDonald said...

Chicago?

TJM said...

Bishop Lohse would be a HUGE upgrade for Chicago!! From your lips to God's ears!

TJM said...

I agree with you. Lewis totally discredits himself with that type of nonsense.

White Pine said...

That's an interesting thought. I think some of the most telling signs of a change of direction will be in Chicago and Santa fe, in the short term. Using my ecclesial-political spidey sense, looking at catholic hier has, if I had to bet money ol Lohse going anywhere, I'd say Baltimore. Maybe Atlanta.

My sense is that Cupich will stay in Chicago until his 80th birthday or a few months later. I think he will be replaced by someone of a similar-ish profile, but either Slightly more moderate or at least collegial enough to get along better with traditional orders. I expect to see the return of the ICKSP, for example. I would look at someone like Archbishop Grob as the most likely type. I hope for a clearer break than that, but it's hard to tell with the current cast in the Vatican. Of course this is all speculation. A fun thought experiment, but I'm not the one that chooses lol.