Translate

Friday, August 7, 2020

SPEAKING ABOUT VALID BAPTISMS, OF WHAT USE ARE GODPARENTS?

 

Our diocese, like most, require that at least one godparent is a practicing Catholic. Those who come from outside the parish must present a letter of good standing with their parish in order to be a godparent. 

But what influence do most godparents have on their godchildren? My godparent, long since dead, were Italian and lived and died in Italy. I left Italy with my parents when I was three and never saw them again, although I did receive for a short time, the wonderful chocolate Easter Eggs that Italy has but melted by the time it arrived in Atlanta. But the little toys inside were in good condition and the chocolate was still great. 

And then some godparents leave the practice of the faith or never really practiced it. 

Do we need to just say that godparents are witnesses to the baptism in order to make sure the priest or deacon uses the valid words for baptism?

And by the way, the National Chismatic Reporter (NCR) has yet to report the CDF’s statement on what a valid baptism must have although they have complained bitterly that the proper pastor of a Catholic parish must be a priest. Poor NCR.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh man I miss those big chocolate eggs! My own experience as a Godparent is unfortunately I was not a constant presence in the child's life as she was growing up not through any fault of my own. Now that she is a young adult we have developed a relationship where we can discuss Faith issues and I can offer guidance. So the role varies dependent upon many factors, but you never know when you will be called upon to fulfill your role. You must always keep yourself prepared and remember your responsibility as Godparent.