For those who don't know Milquetoast a definition: (One who has a meek, timid, unassertive nature.)
WORD HISTORY An indication of the effect on the English language of popular culture is the adoption of names from the comic strips as English words. Casper Milquetoast, created by Harold Webster in 1924, was a timid and retiring man named for a timid food. The first instance of milquetoast as a common noun is found in the mid-1930s. Milquetoast thus joins the ranks of other such words, including sad sack, from a blundering army private invented by George Baker in 1942, and Wimpy, from J. Wellington Wimpy in the Popeye comic strip, which became a trade name for a hamburger. If we look to a related form of popular culture, the animated cartoon, we must of course acknowledge Mickey Mouse, which has become a slang term for something that is easy, insignificant, small-time, worthless, or petty.
Prior to Vatican II:
1. For the most part in the Latin Rite of the Church there was a single liturgy in a single language (Latin) that was universal around the world for Latin Rite Catholics
2. There was a universal catechism taught to children and in the USA it was the Baltimore Catechism that was very basic, very foundation and very easy to teach
3. There were clear lines of authority and obedience in the areas of faith, morals and Church law (which always encompasses both divine and human law). Divine law cannot change, but purely human law for the sake of the common good can change (like the hours of fasting before Holy Communion, type of penance on Friday, etc)
4. One could not dissent from the teachings of the Church in the areas of faith, morals and canon law and publicly do so without repercussions and being condemned for choosing mortal sin and hell
5. There was a clear understanding of sin, grace, moral living, judgment, purgatory, heaven, hell and how the Redemption of Jesus Christ (Paschal Mystery) is applied to the sinner who otherwise deserves punishment
After Vatican II:
1. The Latin Rite Liturgy becomes so diverse and stripped of its traditional piety and devotion that the differences in the Mass from parish to parish is so great and diversified and even more so from country to country. The Latin Rite Mass no longer is universally celebrated in a monolithic way. This has had dire consequences for Catholic unity and identity. Seemingly minor things that were removed from the Mass in its revision (such as the Introit, Offertory and Communion Antiphons, style of music genre, prayers at the foot of the altar, offertory prayers and the unique role of the ordained priest representing the priestly people of God at the altar as he offers the one Sacrifice of Jesus, In Persona Christi Capitis kneeling for Holy Communion and receiving on the tongue and the proliferation of liturgical ministries carried out in sloppy, haphazard ways and with choirs confronting the congregation in entertainment style) contributed to what was deemed even in the 1970's as a loss of respect for the holy and a Catholic sense of reverence
2. Catechetical materials replacing the Baltimore Catechism are either to complex or to simple or simply vapid and has had the most deleterious effect upon Catholic identity and moral living that will take generation to overcome
3. Complete individualism when it comes to personal and public morality, rejection of divine law contained in natural law and contempt for the ecclesiastical authority of the pope and bishops (in part brought on by Humanae Vitae and the theology of dissent from it, but also the lack of strong decisive leadership from the Holy Father and the bishops when dissent becomes public in the clergy and laity and their role in mismanaging perverted priests and the sex abuse scandal--devastating to them and Catholic identity
4. Lack of backbone in the appropriate use of Church discipline, public excommunication, censure, and the like
5. Complete loss and lack of catechesis or preaching on sin, grace, moral living, judgment, purgatory, heaven hell and the other-worldly and this-worldly aspect of the Paschal Mystery (redemption)
Vatican II help create apostates such as Nancy Pelosi and Katherine Sebelious, Joseph Biden, Ted Kennedy and other public but infamous Catholics who trash the Church and her true identity and all have done so without impunity or the threat of excommunication the possibility of hell fire and damnation.
In the area of Church discipline, the bishops and liberal Catholics have become like the character from literature Milquetoast; they have no backbone or desire to rock the boat of dissent and loss of Catholic identity and thus they exacerbate the loss of Catholic identity that now can very well lead to the loss of Religious liberty in this country and freedom of conscience.
This is a wake-up moment for Catholics in the history of the Catholic Church in this Country and the decline and nearly to the point of "fall" of the Catholic Church worldwide--but of course that can't happen because of the promises of Jesus Christ to the Church, but the Church can be diminished by these ungodly forces.