Translate

Tuesday, July 21, 2026

A CHANGE AT SAINT PETER’S BASILICA?

 His Eminence

Rolandas Cardinal Makrickas


Because of social media and the internet we poor lowly Catholics know more about the inside gossip at the Vatican more so than ever, especially when we had to wait a month or so for Catholic news to come to us through newspapers before these were placed on the internet.

The gossip for the last few years has been how horrible Archbishop Gambetti is in his role as the head of St. Peter’s. In his reign there have been three desecrations of the altar with men jumping onto the papal altar, knocking off candlesticks and crucifix and damaging these. One man urinating on the papal altar. 

And those plastic chairs! Gambetti replaced the other chairs with ones made out of clear plexiglass in Saint Peter’s Basilica. The basilica becomes a frame for plexiglass chairs!!!!

There are three who are rumored to take over Gambetti’s position as he is demoted to a small diocese in Italy.

They are Cardinal Parolin, which I really, really doubt will be the one.

The other is Archbishop Ravalli, the current papal MC—and that would be possible.

The third and my vote goes to His Eminence, is His Eminence Rolandas Cardinal Makrickas the current head of St. Mary Major Basilica in Rome. I find him impressive. He allows the TLM and he has kept the altar with the traditional set-up. He is quite impressive, that’s why I’m voting for His Eminence. 


3 comments:

rcg said...

Thanks cor the gossip! 🤣 Seriously, this is interesting on several levels and could introduce some larger changes, e.g. wrt the TLM, that would relieve a lot of pressure on the laity and some fraternities.

Anthony said...

Are private masses still banned in St. Peter's?

Fr. Allan J. McDonald said...

I don’t know for sure, but I think he expects priests to concelebrate rather than have independent Masses at the various altars. That has certainly been a bone of contention and when it was implemented even Cardinal Grejeski made his displeasure known. When I was on sabbatical in 2013. The basilica open at 7 am for these private Masses. It was absolutely beautiful to go there at that time and see all the various Masses at the side chapels/altars, the TLM and NO. And it was very organized and altar boys assisting. All gone now.