Translate

Wednesday, August 30, 2023

PLEASE PRAY FOR ALL IN HARM’S WAY FROM HURRICANE IDELIA AS IT HITS FLORIDA, GEORGIA AND SOUTH CAROLINA

 I, ALONG WITH HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF OTHERS, ARE UNDER A HURRICANE WARNING, TORNADO WARNINGS AND STORM SURGE WARNINGS AS WE ALSO WILL HAVE A KING TIDE DUE TO A BLUE MOON THIS EVENING! 


Since 5:30 AM all of coastal Georgia and parts of coastral South Carolina have been placed on a hurricane warning. Hilton Head Island, SC, where I live, expects the storm to hit with its full force early this evening, hopefully before dark. 

Bans of heavy rain are already hitting us. We are also experiencing tornado warnings and a storm surge warning. Complicating the storm surge, we are under a king tide due to the second full moon in August, called a “blue moon.” It is possible I might see some ocean water on my side of the street, across from the Atlantic Ocean which is a five minute walk away. 

Two double yoked eggs this morning! I hope the electricity doesn’t go out but enough junk food to keep me fat as I ride out the storm in my condo, which on Hilton Head are called villas. It’s two bedrooms which are upstairs, so if water enters the first floor, I can go to higher ground if the second floor doesn’t get blown off. 

And a double yoked dose of prayer for all in harm’s way as Idelia comes on shore in Florida and heads this way by early evening. 



My balcony ready for the wind. I’ll leave my humming bird feeder up until the wind really gets strong. The poor birds are dependent on easy eating here!



The Atlantic Ocean and beautiful Hilton Head Island beach is a five minute walk from here and in that direction:


Last night, Tuesday, I went to a neighbor of mine in the direction above for their 70th Wedding Anniversary dinner. I was able to have them renew their vows and offer them a blessing. They have 11 children and all kinds of grandchildren and great grandchildren. All 11 children will be here this Sunday at Holy Family Church for a reception dinner in their social hall. Both are almost 93 years old, the husband still drives, in fact he drove me to a Knights of Columbus meeting at Holy Family Church. He is an usher, Communion Minister, on the finance council and other activities with the Knights. Amazing Catholic family. He is a convert due to his wife’s active Catholic faith. Even still, though, he’s been a Catholic longer than me and I am a cradle Catholic!


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Father McDonald, my prayers are for you, and each person within the hurricane's path. May God protect each of you. May God protect each person throughout the world from inclement weather.

May the Blessed Virgin Mary, dear Saint Joseph, and each Angel and Saint, pray to the Lord, Our God, for each person within the hurricane's path. Amen.

Pax.

Mark Thomas

rcg said...

Good luck and may you fall under the protection of St Medard’s intercession. Your first stroke of luck is the gas stove on the balcony that can help you cook if the indoor power goes out. You’re set for the duration.

Fr. Allan J. McDonald said...

Yes, my little handy dandy propane grill will be a godsend if the electricity goes out.

ByzRus said...

Be safe down there, Fr. AJM.

Likewise, Fr. MJK and whomever else that posts here that could be in harm's way.

Bob said...

Your balcony ready for the wind? If you put all that stuff still on your balcony, and instead put it atop your car and drove 60-75mph down the highway, they just might not stay put.

With a plate glass door/window next to them......

Anonymous said...

Fathers McDonald, Kavanaugh, as well as everybody within the hurricane's path: Continued prayers for you. I have kept you all day in my thoughts and prayers.

Pax.

Mark Thomas

Bob said...

Father, a little humor for you...
The passivist Quaker farmer is standing on the stairs, aiming a shotgun at the burgler downstairs, and says, "Friend, I mean thee no harm, but thou art standing where I intend to shoot."

Anonymous said...

Additional prayers for all of you.

Pax.

Mark Thomas

Bob said...

Well, Father, at circa 1730 your time the NE eyewall is approaching HHI, off and on tornado warnings in the heavy rain shield NNW of you inland and up the coast from Charleston in stronger bands, but your area clear of most banding as they seem to be initializing in your area. If the wind gusts don't mess with things too badly, and any onshore surge, you might be about done with the worst....hopefully, anyhow....

John said...

May St Medárd keep you in his prayers.

Sophia said...

Sophia here: Hi Father. Once its path was determined, I began praying for my Aunt and everyone in Fl. and elsewhere in the direct path of this hurricane.
I flew into Atlanta tonight (from NJ) and was pleasantly surprised that our descent was not as choppy as our pilot had warned us to expect! And my aunt left an "all clear" message on my phone so I am praying that you will have a similar message for us- especially since you will have removed the deck furniture, as Bob so wittily reminded you to do!

Fr. Michael J. Kavanaugh said...

All in all we coastal folks were spared much harm, thanks be to God. Winds here gusted to, maybe, 50, but sustained winds were never above 20 and lasted maybe 1 hour. I don't think we got an inch of rain on our part of Wilmington Island. I did a tour of the island last evening and did see two trees on houses, LOTS of biggish limbs down, and trash all over the roads. One of the very old pines in front of the school has a big limb hanging above the walking trail, so I have notified the county. They will be very busy in the next few days, but are usually very good about things that present a clear and present danger.