Thursday, March 8, 2018
OKAY, THE ONLY RELIGION NOT DECLINING TODAY IS PROGRESSIVE SECULARISM AND THAT'S BECAUSE IT IS SO "ME' ORIENTED, NO?
Yes, yes, there are plenty who say that it isn't just Catholicism declining because of Vatican II but all religions are experiencing a decline, especially the progressive, liberal forms of Christianity but not exclusively them.
The common thread, we are told, is that society is changing fast (as it always has, by the way).
I guess the only two major parallels would be the Great Schism and the Protestant Reformation which took so many Catholics away from the true Church or what euphemistically is call the "full communion of the Catholic Church." Today it isn't the Orthodox stealing Catholics away or Protestants, try as they may, but secularists and their agenda of secularism and individualism.
But I contend, in the most Gnostic way possible, that the loss of Catholic identity and usually in all the wonderful icing on the cake of Catholicism is what has so weakened us. Cultural Catholicism was once celebrated and enjoyed like a glass of fine wine. But Vatican II scrapped away all that glorious icing, the butter cream kind, and simply left a bare pound cake. Yuck!
What do I mean?
All the cool things of Catholicism:
1. nuns in full habit
2. strong Catholic institutions manned by laity who joined the priesthood and religious life because of their baptismal calling
3. priests in cassocks
4. strong discipline in parishes and Catholic schools
5. Mystical liturgies and elaborate choreography and vestments
6. Popular devotions
7. Confession lines
8. popes in chairs carried aloft with fanons, ostrich fans and a regal court
9. the trappings of monarchy to point to Christ the KING and the KINGDOM of HEAVEN
10. Ornate churches with high altars and candles galore
11. fasting and abstinence especially every Friday's abstinence and ember days
12. Catholic modesty
13. women wearing veils
14. Catholic humility and few receiving Holy Communion
What else would you say as led to the Cadillac of Catholicism being stripped to the essentials of a rear-engine Volkswagen? It works, but just too ugly, plain and simple to keep or attract.