How in the name of God and all that is Holy did we get from this:
To this in Catholic liturgy? Did Vatican II really envision this?
Tonight at Saint Joseph Church, Macon, we are celebrating the Solemnity of our patron, Saint Joseph, who happens to be the patron also of the Universal Church. We are celebrating it with the Solemn Sung Form of the 1962 Missal. It is said that this Mass has useless repetition and is not noble in its simplicity.
As I prepare to celebrate this Mass with deacon and subdeacon, I thought of the closing Mass in Los Angeles, the capital of world entertainment and how this entertainment mentality infected that Mass and so corrupted it. I had to think to myself that Sacrosanctum Concilium really did not forsee this form of the Mass when it asked that the 1962 Missal experience some adaptations, elimination of useless repetition and noble simplicity as well as an expanded lectionary.
But there will be things in common with our Solemn Sung Extraordinary Form Mass and that perverted and distorted form of it in Los Angeles. Let me count the ways.
1. The EF Mass will be sung; chanted is a better term. But what will be sung, as compared to the Los Angeles travesty will actually be the Mass. The Asperges will be the prelude to the Mass as all are sprinked with Holy Water as the schola sings the Asperges Me. Then the Mass will begin with the Introit in Gregorian Chant, the chant proper to the Mass in either form, as the priest and his ministers pray their private prayers at the Foot of the Altar to prepare themselves in the most spiritual and public way possible for what they will do at the altar as the priest acts in the person of Jesus Christ, Head of the Church. We will have two Latin motets as filler. One at the Offertory; one at Holy Communion and we will have an English recessional hymn in honor of Saint Joseph.
2. There will be liturgical dance in this EF Mass too, but choreographed in the strictest way possible with the detailed movements of priest, deacon, sub deacon and altar servers. It will be thoroughly Catholic and will not be confused with secular and pagan forms of dance that looks like a prelude to sexual intercourse in the animal kingdom.
3. The direction of prayer and worship in the Los Angeles event was directed in a horizontal way to the primary actors (acting in the sense of a Hollywood or Broadway spectacle)tonight's EF Mass will be completely vertical but in a horizontal sort of way. Everything will be directed to God the Father, through His Son and by the Power of the Holy Spirit. The clergy and laity will be contemplative, humble and not exhibit the least amount of pride or arrogance in their worship nor will it be narcissistic or ideological.
4. There will be a Catholic identity coming from the souls of the people actually participating in the EF Mass tonight and their common vernacular will be replaced by the sacred sounds of Latin, the universal language of the Latin Rite and all will be one in language offering to God their worship; none will be offended that their language isn't used. When people complain that their language isn't used, they usually complain from the point of view that the Mass prayers are directed to the laity rather than to God. Again, a perversion of Catholic ritual in prayer which is directed to God alone, either silently or out loud but through Jesus Christ and by the power of the Holy Spirit.
5. Unlike the Mass in Los Angeles, there will be noble simplicity in the EF Mass at St. Joseph. There will be no dance simply for the sake of dance and quite useless in its complexity and repetition, there will be no superfluous movements to set the table and dance around it drawing more attention to what is placed on the altar and who is dancing compared to Who and What is remembered at the altar and there will be no applause, hoots or howls or "Rocky Mountain High" emotional outbursts or exuberance.