This photo is a shrine at Fatima which has Rupnick mosaics everywhere. We know that his expensive artwork is everywhere in Europe in major shrines and now everyone is scrambling to figure out how to rid their shrines and churches of this art because the artist is such a disgrace.
But evidently Fatima has decided to keep it. I am conflicted about ripping out artwork because even if the artist is corrupt his art may be a grace. And judging art is a science for many who do it. I find myself never agreeing with art critics and just relying on what I like and don’t like.
But, if something is truly considered a work of art, whether I like it or not, I don’t normally like to see it ripped out and discarded. That seems to go against what is sacred.
But this is my point today and it isn’t about art but about altar railings or better yet Communion railings!
Look at the Fatima chapel above. There is no Communion railings. But, but, but…there is a barrier, roping to keep pilgrims out of the sanctuary.
While altar railings, I mean, Communion railings functioned in the same way, their purpose wasn’t to keep out but to invite the laity to come and kneel at the Communion railing to pray, to adore and yes, to receive Holy Communion in the most reverent way possible.
That roping is only a barrier!

1 comment:
lol
Post a Comment