Translate

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

THE CHURCH'S INNER HEALING IS OCCURRING


Our 1:00 PM Mass on Easter Sunday was an Extraordinary Form Latin High Mass. We had over 200 in attendance. It was publicly advertised in the paper and announcements as a Latin Mass. Most came because it was.

But there were a few there that did not realize it would be the older form of the Mass. Afterward several came up to me who were younger and had never experienced a Latin Mass, let alone an EF Mass, and said that it was very spiritual. What they liked best was the ability to meditate and read the prayers in English as they were sung or said in Latin. But what they liked the most was kneeling for Holy Communion and receiving on the tongue. Most had never done either.

Others commented that it brought back a flood of family memories of attending Mass with now deceased parents, grand parents and other loved ones. It was a wonderful experience of nostalgia and connectedness with those of the past now hopefully in heaven.

Both groups like the English Mass, but both groups agreed that kneeling for Holy Communion was more reverent for them and less rushed. They asked why we can't do that in the Ordinary Form of the Mass. Good question!

11 comments:

Bill said...

Oh, Father... I do wish your parish were nearer to me!

Robert Kumpel said...

Ditto.

Anonymous said...

Me too.

TK said...

For sure!!

Seeker said...

ooorah!

Gene said...

There is ample anecdotal evidence that kneeling for communion and receiving on the tongue from a Priest is much more conducive to reverence and a sense of the Real Presence than strolling down the aisle and having the Host popped into your hand by Sally, Tony, or Sean.
The question is, how wide spread is this "movement" toward re-instating the more traditional ways? I can't get a feel for the real strength of this phenomenon. When I attend Mass at other parishes, it is usually OF...reverently done and nothing way out, but nothing that appears "reforming," either. I've attended at a couple of these modern "Church in the round" things. I was tempted to get up and leave. Also, a lot of Priests are lazy about Mass...meaning they do not want to be bothered with changing what they are used to. The Pope really needs to mandate some things.

:o) mg said...

I remember asking you the same question when you were still at MHT doing the Latin Masses.

Bishop Allan McDonald.. has a nice ring to it, does it not?

Anonymous said...

How many more would kneel at the OF if there were kneelers available?

*nudge-nudge-wink-wink*

I would have liked to have been able to attend the Latin Mass on Easter. :( sorry I missed it.

Gene said...

OMG, Do not say that...in the back of my mind I have felt Fr. was destined for higher things. I, of course, selfishly want him to stay right here at St. Jo's. Remember, they could always send us Ignotus...in which case I may become a Methodist! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Pin, if you were to get Ignotus, just think of the wonderful in person discussions you could have. Maybe you could convert him to your way of thinking.

Gene said...

As much as we contend with one another, I would imagine we could have some great theological discussions over coffee or beer. I would never hope to convert him to my way of thinking, and I am certain he would never expect to convert me to his. However, we might strive for a more tempered understanding of one another's positions...with the hope that one or both of us might move just a step toward the other. That is the best one can hope for in discussions of that sort.