Translate

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

FOREIGN ENGLISH AND THE NEW ENGLISH TRANSLATION OF THE HOLY MASS


There is a lot of angst out there amongst liturgical professionals who really don't like the new English translation of the Mass which should be implemented in about a year or so. Many think that the rank and file laity will just have much to much of a difficult time comprehending what the priest is praying and what they are praying and maybe even Jesus won't understand.

I've had to deal with foreign English all my life. My Italian mother's thickly accented English mixed with Italian and the way some southerners say things leaves me delightfully befuddled at times and for a few moments I have to decipher what I hear but then come to the realization of what is said in a "a ha" moment. Will this happen to us at Mass and even to God? I report you decide. To see the current English translation of some Sundays, compared to the 1998 translation that was scuttled and then with the new translation recently approved, read HERE, HERE! After reading thee ease, whut da ya'll thank?

4 comments:

Gene said...

The liturgical "professionals" don't have much hope for the "rank and file" then, do they? I don't see any problem with it. It is in English. Are we to do like the public schools and dumb everything down to the lowest possible level and then claim everybody is "educated?" Or, should we attempt to raise people above where they are now and challenge them to exist on a bit higher level...you know, sort of like the Mass is intended to do.

Mike said...

1998 ICEL Translation


THE ASCENSION OF THE LORD


Opening Antiphon Acts 1, 11
You Galileans, why gaze up at the skies?
As Christ ascended, so he will come again, alleluia.


Opening Prayer


Almighty God, make our hearts dance with joy and thanksgiving;


Do I now know how or why Liturgical Dancing came into favour?

Templar said...

Bishop Trautman's Last Stand eh?

I take exception to Bishop's and Experts implying that I can't grasp my native tongue, I must assume it is because I am too dim witted to comprehend anything more complicated than an OCP tune.

These same experts trashed the Liturgy by insisting that I couldn't "actively participate" in the Liturgy unless I was in the reading the Epistle, handing out Communion, breaking gifts to the altar; or engaging in a dialog with the Priest instead of actually "praying the Mass". In other words, I wasn't "good enough" if I didn't become half priest/half laity. Now I'm not smart enough unless the liturgy is reduced to; "Yo Dude...Big G..Love ya bro."

It's very uncharitable of me I know, but I want to just scream at these folks who have watched wreck and ruin come to the Church these 40 years past, and when someone tries to fix it, they say; "Wait, we need to make it more liberal, more banal, more bland, more common, more base, and more popular."

Gene said...

Yo',Dude! Templar rocks! He da' man! LOL...