Friday, August 7, 2015
THEATER OF THE ABSURD AND MINIMAL EXPECTATIONS OF CLERGY AND LAITY AT MASS AND IN LIFE
1. Be present for Mass
2. Internally be disposed to the graces of the Mass, the work of God
3. Externally participate in the rites of the Church as Holy Mother Church assigns these to the laity
Eliminating any of these three is an impoverishment of what actual participation is as the Second Vatican Council, and thus the Magisterium of the Church, teaches.
This does not mean the following:
1. That if the laity are missing from Mass, the Mass accomplishes nothing
2. That if one is distracted, praying the Rosary, daydreaming or doing something else, that nothing good is happening
3. That if one externally prays the liturgy but has no internal disposition toward the prayers that God's grace is absent
We've had inane discussions about actual participation. We should not settle for the minimal or rely simply upon" ex opere..." as needed as this is, but we should strive to give God our best, our Sunday best! And our daily Mass
At least Mass is valid, although no laity were present!
At least Mass is valid even if the priest has lost his faith and is morally despicable but follows the mind of the Church for the Mass!
At least the Mass is valid with poorly translated texts from the original Latin!
At least the Mass if valid if everyone of the laity at Mass are praying the Rosary, going to confession during Mass, making the stations of the cross or chatting with their neighbor!
Do Catholics really want to settle for this sort of at leasts? I hope not!