Translate

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

THE HOLY NAME OF MARY IS NO LONGER POPULAR! SAY IT ISN'T TRUE!


Mary no longer among top 100 girls’ names
From Catholic Culture,February 01, 2011

Mary-- which was among the two most popular girls’ baby names from 1910 to 1965-- fell to 102nd in popularity in 2009, according to the Social Security Administration. Joseph remains a popular boys’ name, ranking 16th.

My comments: I wonder if it is higher for Roman Catholic families to name their daughter Mary? I must admit that very few baby girls that I've baptized in the last 10 years had the first name of Mary.

There are some very unusual names that are chosen though.

5 comments:

Gene said...

In our increasingly shallow and hysterical culture, soap opera names are popular...mostly misspelled, as in: Chasity,Britney,Maranda,etc. It is apropos that the name "Mary" should disappear along with the phenomenon the name represents. Names like Constance, Prudence, Faith, and Patience, along with those attributes, disappeared long ago. May I suggest a new round of modern girl names: Loosey, Easy, Tipsy, Ditzy, and Dummy.

Robert Kumpel said...

I wanted to name every one of my four daughters Mary, but my wife (a convert) thought it was too "bland". But we DID manage to give them all Saint names, something I've always taken as an obligation, and my third got "Marie" as a middle name.

What's so boring about Mary? For that matter, why does a name have to be exciting? I thank God every day my parents gave me a "boring" name like Robert--at least I don't have to spell it for everyone.

Gene said...

My grand daughter was named Mary Elizabeth, after my daughter who was named Mary Elizabeth.

Anonymous said...

My wife's first name is Mary. She did not like being called by that name because she endured some mockery due to it when she was little. That, of course, has changed as she has grown although she still goes by her middle name.

As far as name goes, Pin is spot on about the modern naming preferences of young women. I expect many of those will go the same way as the many Elvis' in the 50 ~ 55 age group.

rcg

Maria del Rosario said...

Ahem . . .