Translate

Wednesday, March 20, 2024

PODIUM AT THE CELEBRANT’S CHAIR…

 








More and more I am seeing the Modern Mass entirely celebrated at the altar. But the modern Mass instructions require as a norm that the priest preside at the chair for the Introductory Rites, the Credo and Universal Prayers and the Post Communion Rites. 

Often a server holds the Roman Missal for the priest but in awkward ways sometimes obscuring the priest altogether! Often the book is shaking or outside the range of bi and tri focals! 

Thus more churches are using a simple, but tasteful, podium at the Celebrant’s chair. 

At Holy Family Church on Hilton Head Island, everything is done at the altar and the chair for just sitting.

However, just recently, I placed a podium at the chair and it is perfect. I like it and I am in complete control of the Roman Missal without having to hold it myself!

God is good! And I am liturgically correct once again!

7 comments:

Fr. Michael J. Kavanaugh said...

I have used a podium at the chair for many years for those times when we do not have an altar server. I have never found an altar server of any size to be an impediment.

What fries my grist is when I see a priest hold a ritual book in one hand, yet keep the free hand extended in what then becomes a semi-orans posture.

TJM said...

Does it fry you that Biden and the Dems are rabidly pro abortion? That seems far more significant in the real world!

William said...

This church interior exemplifies expensive bad taste.

Unknown said...

William,

My first impression was "spaceship" or "Star Trek"...not great for a Catholic church.

Nick

Jerome Merwick said...

As church interiors go, this one's about as inspiring as a toilet seat.

Bob said...

Totally unrelated, but thought this quote from observations by Judge Napolitano whilst attending a ethics conference in the Vatican would be of interest to you....

"Nevertheless, it was surreal when he was brought in to the guesthouse dining room, using a walker and an assistant at each arm. It was bizarre when he sat with his back to us. I wanted to go up to him and greet him, but the Swiss Guards had warned us not to approach him or call out to him.

Two days later, I turned a corner in the guest house lobby, and there he was, 10 feet away. I gently bowed and whispered "Your Holiness." He looked at me and moved on.

The Pope is in poor health, can barely speak or walk; and he radiates sadness. I was thrilled to reside in his home for four days, but I don't think he'll be there much longer."

In passing, I agree with Jerome as to the church design, as inspirational as a hospital complex conference center.

Bob said...

PS- the church does have two things which are attractive, the crucifix and, of course, the podium, (which was a major aesthetic improvement to the building).