Translate

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

TROPICAL STORM COLIN AND A NEW DAY DAWNING FOR YOURS TRULY

Yesterday, June 7 was the 36th anniversary of my ordination to the priesthood. Bishop Raymond W. Lessard ordained two others and me, Father John Lyons and the late Father Tom Campbell on a sweltering, humid Savannah Saturday, June 7, 1980 morning at the Cathedral of Saint John the Baptist in Savannah.

As fate would have it I had my last meeting as the Vicar Forane (Dean) of the Macon Deanery in Savannah yesterday June 7th.

I went to Richmond Hill Sunday night and took care of some business on a tropical storm Monday as Colin roared through the area with heavy rain.

Yesterday (Tuesday) the current pastor of Saint Anne, Father Joe Smith (who I recruited for the seminary when he sang in the Cathedral Men's Choir and I was associate pastor and vocation director at the Cathedral in the late 80's) allowed me to celebrate the 9 AM daily Mass at Saint Anne's old Church, the former Henry Ford Martha-Mary Chapel.

I was impressed with the number in attendance and a lot of children too.

This was my first Mass there. As I got out of my car parked behind the church, Tropical Storm Colin was just a remnant and the sun was peaking through the low clouds. I took this with my cell phone!

Is there a sign in this for me? If so what???????

7 comments:

James said...

Congratulations and all best wishes in your new parish. It looks like a lovely place to be (and here's a prayer that your new home is kept free of rats and floods).

Anonymous said...

Colin, not Collin.

Anonymous said...

Is there a sign in this for me? If so what???????
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti3EWCbtZGk

Dan said...

" (who I recruited for the seminary ...) should be "whom I recruited..." Best wishes on your new assignment and prayers for your ministry.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Father, 35 years is a wonderful milestone. Deo gratias! As regards is there a message for you? Yes, I would say that your life there in your new parish is going to be full of sunshine - even on the greyest of days! Like the other posters here, I will keep you in my prayers for continuing success in your priestly ministry.

Anonymous said...

Bee here:

Fr. McD: Regarding Dan's comment about your grammar and use of 'whom' and 'who.'

Here's how I was taught to remember when to use 'whom' or 'who':
If the answer is 'her or him' use 'whom.' If the answer is 'she or he', use 'who.'

So for instance:
Q: Who did I recruit for the seminary? A: Him. So use "whom." "...whom I recruited..."

Q: Who is the current pastor of St. Anne's? A: He is. So use "who." "..Fr. Joe who is the pastor.."

(Like you have time to care about the proper use of 'whom' and 'who'.... :-)

Bee

George said...


If what you saw and phtographed was indeed a sign I don't see how it could be anything other than a good one.