Translate

Wednesday, April 22, 2020

RESTORATIVE PUNISHMENT DOLED OUT BY GOD--WHEN'S THE LAST TIME YOU HEARD THAT?

Dr. Scott Hahn, a father of six, was asked this question on LifeSite:

Dr. Hahn...(is or isn't) COVID-19 a sort of punishment from God?

“Well, you know, when people ask, ‘Is this a divine punishment?’…that’s a loaded question. It's also a complicated question. You know, I would say, ‘Is God getting even with us? Is God getting back at us?’ No. God is trying to get us back to Himself. That's the purpose of punishment. So is this a punishment? Well, yeah. And why? Because we have sinned.”

“We've got to see that God is a loving father. But, I tried to be that, too, with my six kids. And so when I punished my six kids…I didn't punish the neighbor's kids — even when it was more their fault. I punished my kids, but I didn't punish them because I stopped loving them or I started loving them less and less. No, I punished my kids because they're my kids and because I love them.”

“So does God punish us? Yes, but it's restorative. It's redemptive. It purifies us…God’s mercy is when God gives us what we need. Whether it's a virus, an epidemic, an earthquake or a volcano, or a cop pulling us over and giving us a DUI when we are finally forced to accept responsibility for all of our misused freedom. That is not wrath. That is mercy. That is love. And it usually comes wrapped in what feels like a punishment.”

No comments: