Thursday, March 3, 2016
WHEREIN FATHER SOUTHERN ORDERS OPINES ABOUT THE ACTUAL CONTINUITY BETWEEN THE ORDINARIATE'S "DIVINE LITURGY, THE MISSAL" AND THE 1962 ROMAN MISSAL, AKA, EXTRAORDINARY FORM
This is to have continuity between our OF Mass and the last Sunday of the month EF High Mass, although the EF is all in Latin.
However, if a dispensation were given by my bishop to use the Ordinariate's "Divine Worship, the Missal" for our OF Masses, there would be a great deal more continuity between it and the 1962 Roman Missal, although in English, although one could have a hybrid Latin/English Liturgy.
But let me point out the continuity of the Ordinariate's Missal with the 1962 Missal that our 2002 Roman Missal lacks:
1. The Prayers at the Foot of the altar could be recited as a legitimate option as the introit is chanted in the format of the EF Mass, which could then go directly to the chanting of the Kyrie and Gloria as the priest ascends the altar to incense it. The greeting is prior to the Collect and all can be done at the altar or chair (sedalia). However, ad orientem is presumed by the missal, although facing the congregation is optional.
2. The Gradual could be chanted along with the Tract when prescribed in place of the Responsorial Psalm.
3. The first choice for the Offertory Prayers are the EF's version.
4. Only the Roman Canon is used on Sunday and has rubrics more similar to the EF's Roman Canon!
5. The embolism after the Our Father is more EF like and includes St. Joseph, Peter and Paul and Andrew in it!
6. The "Lord I am not worthy" can be recited three times.
7. The Last Gospel may be recited prior to the recessional.
8. The Elizabethan English, especially for the Roman Canon, gives a sense of the use of a sacral language as Latin does while remaining intelligible for the majority of English speaking Catholics. In other words, like the Latin, it is "other worldly" pointing to the kingdom of heaven which in the Mass transcends time to come to us!
Do you think any priest requesting a dispensation to use the Ordinariate's Divine Liturgy,the Missal, should be given a hearing by his bishop and then given the dispensation?