Translate

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

POPE BENEDICT XVI CELEBRATES HIS 85th BIRTHDAY IN PAULINE CHAPEL AT THE VATICAN WITH A REFORM OF THE REFORM ORDINARY FORM MASS AD ORIENTEM

The Pauline Chapel at the Vatican was wonderfully restored a couple of years ago. Its altar was "detached" from its reredos making it possible for the Mass to be celebrated facing the congregation. But it is detached in such a way that it is possible to celebrate Mass ad orientem as well.

Yesterday, April 16, the Holy Father's 85 birthday saw him once more celebrating Mass ad orientem in this chapel where he could have easily have celebrated toward the people if he had so desired, but he didn't!

For some reason I cannot save the photos there to then post on my blog, but thanks to qwikness, you might be able to down load a truck load of fabulous photos! Go to 7 of 15 and 8 of 15 to see the ad orientem and kneeling for Holy Communion. Truly fabulous. SO PRESS THIS AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS!

As well, you will note that all the communicants received Holy Communion on their tongue while kneeling. I wonder what the Holy Father is telling us by modeling these two things, ad orientem and kneeling for Holy Communion? Is it a sign of mandates to come? I'm not clairvoyant, but maybe I am, but I'll let the signs speak for themselves.

12 comments:

qwikness said...

Try this link
http://www.photovat.com/PHOTOVAT/ANNO2012/APRILE%202012/16042012_SANTAMESSAGENETLIACO/index.html

Fr. Allan J. McDonald said...

Thanks qwikness, it worked, but do you know why I can't copy them to save to my computer and then post on my blog. I usually save pictures to my desktop and then get them from there to put on my blog and then delete them from my computer. The Vatican website photos don't allow me to do that.

qwikness said...

I sent you an email that may help if you have Windows Vista or 7

Bill said...

Father, it's because they are presenting using Flash. You can, however, make a screen capture, with a tool such as the (free) Cropper. Highly recommended.

ytc said...

OMG the Pope is wearing the Easter damask mozzetta (white) with ermine, which hasn't been worn since John XXIII!

I am a nerd.

ytc said...

BTW, the altar was actually shoved up against the wall so that Mass was ad orientem by default. After the Council, the altar was ripped off the wall. But then Papa Bene shoved it back while still leaving a very small space so that it still technically can be pulled out to celebrate versus populum. But VP has not been done at this altar in this Pontificate!

I really am a nerd.

Anonymous said...

"Holy Father is telling us by modeling these two things, ad orientem and kneeling for Holy Communion? Is it a sign of mandates to come?"

Actually, only one thing needs to be mandated. Once we clearly realize--by facing God together in the East as we pray--that our purpose is solely to worship Him in offering sacrifice--then everything else that's right will follow in due course . . . kneeling, communion on the tongue, given only by consecrated hands, all a consequence of rightly oriented worship.

Carol H. said...

ytc,

Thank you for being so nerdy- we need more like you!

Joseph Johnson said...

The altar in the day chapel at St. Joseph, Waycross, GA, is constructed in such a way that it can be used free-standing (as it is now) or it can be pushed back to fit against a simple green marble fronted reredos, of sorts, upon which is engraved, in gold leaf, "SANCTVS+SANCTVS+SANCTVS".

At least our day chapel is well prepared for the reform of the reform as well as the EF.

By the way, be sure to check the latest Rorate Caeli post. According to one recent Tornielli report, Bishop Fellay has signed a version of the doctrinal preamble and an official announcement may be only hours away.

ytc said...

Btw guys, SSPX is back. Just thought you'd like to know...

Neo Bonaventurean said...

Father, may I use on my blog's sidebar the photograph of the Holy Father raising the chalice? God bless.

Fr. Allan J. McDonald said...

I got the photo from an Internet search and presume it is public domain and of course I don't profit from my blog do I presume you can use it.