Translate

Sunday, September 25, 2011

INTERESTING TIDBITS ON MOVIE MAKING MAGIC AND SAVANNAH, GEORGIA

The late Don Ameche in his heyday:

Heather Locklear in "Return of the Swamp Thing" filmed in Savannah, Georiga

Heather Locklear is turning 50 and there is a story about her in the 1980's making the movie, "Return of the Swamp Thing." It was filmed in Savannah and several scenes were shot at night at the very home of Jim Williams who is infamous for a murder he committed in that home and which was later made into a best selling book and not so good movie, "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil." (The Cathedral rectory garage where I parked my car is featured in that awful movie).

In that very same home Jim Williams hung a Nazi flag outside of his home while another movie company used the square that this home is on to make a period piece in the 1800's. Obviously this flag caused problems for filming.

Later Jim Williams very same home was use in a scene from the Civil War drama "Glory" which was also filmed in Savannah while I lived there.

The night I heard that Heather Locklear was two squares away from the Cathedral rectory where I lived and was filming at the Williams' home, I made my way there in civilian clothes to see what it was all about and there she was talking to those gathered to watch moving making magic.

Come to think of it, Hollywood heart throb from the 1940's Don Ameche made a movie while I was stationed at the Cathedral and attended Mass there every Saturday night until he finished and he also made use of the Sacrament of Penance. He was a devout Catholic. Our older Cathedral women swooned over him but in discreet southern hospitality and never once disturbed him. He was always very cordial with me and on his last Saturday with us came up to speak to me after Mass and to thank me and the Cathedral parishioners for the kindnesses shown to him. He was a real gentleman!

3 comments:

Gene said...

Ah, Heather Locklear...yes, a former favorite lust...er, movie star. Christ have Mercy! Those movies were too awful for words...

Anonymous said...

And don't forget Helen Hayes and Jane Wyman, who was buried in her Tertiary Dominican habit.

Gene said...

They were before my time...however, the thought of Kate Beckinsale dressed in '40's fashion in "Pearl Harbor" sends me running and knocking people out of the way to get to the Confessional. LOL!