Translate

Sunday, September 3, 2023

WOO HOO! I GOT TO CELEBRATE THE FEAST DAY OF SAINT GREGORY THE GREAT AS A SOLEMNITY INSTEAD OF THE 22ND SUNDAY OF ORDINARY TIME! HOW ABOUT YOU?



 Happy Saint Gregory the Great Feast Day! September 3rd is the Feast Day of this great pope. Gregorian Chant is named after him and he accomplished great works for Christ and the Church He founded. 

Unfortunately, when a saint’s feast day falls on a Sunday, he gets bumped. For example this Sunday, September 3rd is the 22nd Sunday in Ordinary Time. But if your parish Church is named after St. Gregory the Great, you get to celebrate the Mass for his feast day which I did this morning at St. Gregory the Great in Bluffton, SC. 

I was blessed with an almost full house at the 7 AM “Low” Mass. 

Please note on the left side of the altar the reliquary of the First Class relic of St. Pope Gregory the Great. A first class relic means a small, very small, portion of the saint’s body, such as a bone fragment or skin or something similar, large or small.

I don’t know how kosher is was, but I was asked to offer the Last Blessing of the Mass by using the reliquary containing the First Class relic of their patron saint. I complied with that directive. Was that kosher or not? 

5 comments:

ByzRus said...

This isn't a bad looking church.

I'd get rid of the wrought iron candle holders, 6 across the back, 2-6 on the altar (I'm really ok with just 2), crucifix on altar, remove the Laudian-style altar cloth and replace with something traditional, remove the plants. Those altar drapings are just never attractive or neat loooking to my eye. Any of the Italian priests that I know would likely be on board with all that I mentioned. Too many chairs as well. Are all necessary every week?

Banners....not bad. But, not my taste. Simple, elegant without extra draping things.

ByzRus said...

To your question, and IMHO, no. My instincts are just saying no here.

I'm probably wrong, but, I've never heard of this being done as it's "the blessing of Almighty God etc." via the priest in persona Christi.

Is a first class relic of a pope an extension of in persona Christi? Seems like a stretch to me.

Would a para-liturgical veneration and blessing with the relic after the dismissal have been better. Again, IMHO, I might have gone this route. Again, I'm likely wrong, but, when in doubt, go para-liturgical.

Bob said...

I have been to many relic veneration masses, where AFTER or DURING mass, folk could come foward to be blessed with the sacred relic, but never was that in place of any part of the mass including the final blessing by God. I would think a crucifix used at final bkessing appropriate, but not a saint relic. However, it a holy intent, unlike a balloon or hoverboard mass.

Bob said...

I have been to many relic veneration masses, where AFTER or DURING mass, folk could come foward to be blessed with the sacred relic, but never was that in place of any part of the mass including the final blessing by God. I would think a crucifix used at final bkessing appropriate, but not a saint relic. However, it a holy intent, unlike a balloon or hoverboard mass.

ByzRus said...

Agree with Bob.

Intent holy and laudable. Given some of what goes on elsewhere, this is low-touch.

The sacrament wasn't invalidated and the floor won't split open swallowing everyone up.

From a Byzantine perspective, this wouldn't happen. The rubrics are clear on action and who performed by. The Roman books might differ however, to the extent they don't, a nice procession of the people after the dismissal to venerate the relic accompanied by appropriate hymns would certainly be nice/special. Have a coffee social/fellowship afterward before folks go their separate ways and I think you'll have a really nice feast day acknowledgement.

If a priest is available, the principal mass of the day should be embellished, incense used, choir sings (if available), 6 high candles lit, consecration candles (if they have) are lit, perhaps the relic/reliquary is displayed more prominently with an appropriate floral display. Veneration after mass, coffee social.....perfect.