Translate

Thursday, January 14, 2021

ARE PRIESTS NOT ALLOWED TO BE PHOTOGRAPHED AT THE BEACH IN A BATHING SUIT? I ASK; YOU ANSWER

I received a negative comment today that I deleted. But there was an interesting proposition.  The person stated it was scandalous that on my Facebook page there are photos and/or videos of me in my bathing suit at the beach on my day off or on vacation. I go abut 35 miles away from Savannah on my vacation now, rather than taking exotic ones.

Because I am held to a higher standard, the photo below is scandalous to traddie Catholics. 

Unless there is a canon law that priests can't go to the beach or wear a bathing suit while in the ocean or trying to get a luscious tan, is the photo below scandalous?

Our former now deceased bishop used to go to Tybee Beach wearing a speedoo. Ugh! But was it scandalous? Perhaps to the puritanical or jansenistic who suffer from the heresy of Dualism, body--bad, soul good. I think the Irish are especially prone to this but others too.

By the way I don't wear bikini trunks on the beach and don't like it when I see snowbirds from Canada, completely overweight elderly men, wearing them at my beach. But that's another issue. My trunks come from Walmart and cost $4 each.

Are you scandalized by my cheap trunks and photographed in them???????

BTW, after I saw this photo, I decided to trim my chest hair as I do what is left on my head the majority of which has migrated to my nostrils, ears and chest!

8 comments:

Tammy said...

Priest MAY wear beach wear on the beach.

Whether they SHOULD or not is another question . . .

ByzRus said...

Am I scandalized? No. You are entitled to live like the rest of us.

Is it allowed? I don't see why not if you are achieving said luscious tan on a public beach.

Is a speedo on clergy on a public beach the best choice? To me, probably not. Actually, and to me, they should never be worn by any man, anywhere. The nightmare of that imagery....

As for chest hair, that's your choice. However, I'm sure current views on such a crop would leave some being grateful you did!

Anonymous said...

the old joke as I knew it is, "I am not losing my hair. It is receding into my scalp, and coming out my nose and ears."

We live in an immodest age, where formerly both men and women covered bodies in public to include the newfangled idea of swimming suits for city dwellers, while today it is the goal to be as naked as possible, even in church, just this side of whatever is legal in that area.

Of course, we country folk were lucky to have a single suit plus work duds, and skinny dipping was the order of the day. We still never thought of attending church nekkid, though.

Pervert Trad said...

Can I buy your used Speedo’s ?

Coach K said...

I guess the answer depends on how you wish to present yourself to parishioners and other laity: Distant, remote, not of this world, not consumed by the daily routine stuff that somehow absorbs the rest of us. Or regular everyday people, relatable, one of the guys, just Allan from Richmond Hills. I’m not being snide, I’m not a priest and honestly don’t know the answer. Maybe you feel differently on different days.

But I’m pretty sure the people who say “OK” would feel differently if it were a nun.

William said...

Chaleur!

Anonymous said...

I would say not scandalous, not even your chest hair.

I remember a woman telling me about her parish priest when she was a teenager in the early 80s, though, and said he would drive about town in a convertible wearing only a bathing suit and pull up next to the teens so he could hop out and talk to them. That seemed inappropriate.

It's all about context, IMO.

Anonymous said...

Lessard in a Speedo???? I just lost my breakfast lunch AND dinner.........