Sunday, December 27, 2015
THESE SORTS OF THINGS, EXTREME OR LESS EXTREME, ARE WHAT PUSH TRADITION MINDED CATHOLICS AS IT CONCERNS THE HOLY SACRIFICE OF THE MASS TO DESPISE THE NEW ORDER OF THE MASS AND THE LIBERTIES AND ABUSES THAT PRIESTS TAKE WITH IT!
The Ordinary Form of the Mass has come to symbolize a lack of spirituality, piety and reverence, most of all reverence! The sad thing is that the laity enjoy this nonsense and because they enjoy it bishops do not condemn it or suspend the priest who encourages it. But if this priest distributed Holy Communion by way of intinction and the Mass ad orientem and in Latin, there would be repercussions!
If you want to know what is wrong with the Church today, it is this (and in no way can we say this priest is following the General Instruction of the Roman Missal in the Ordinary Form or its rubrics) then look to the bishop of this priest, the priest himself and his congregation that puts up with this abuse and enjoys it. This is a desecration of the Mass and I think a mortal sin reserved to the Holy See! But the local bishop has to suspend the priest who creates the desecration in order that a public statement of horror can circulate and inform the laity that this is wrong, wrong, wrong. It is irreverent! This priest wants to be in show business and uses the Mass and its congregation to fulfill his narcissistic desires. But apart from this sad, sad priest is the sad congregation that puts up with it and enjoys it and applauds it! Could this happen in the EF Mass? NO! NO! NO!
I would state emphatically that Mass facing the congregation has turned many priests into entertainers. I think Mass facing the congregation for over 50 years now, is at the root of the majority of the liturgical abuses in the Ordinary Form. It also accounts for the loss of laity to our churches. In the early 1960's almost 90% of Catholics attended Mass every Sunday in the USA; today some places get less than 12% of Catholics attending Mass. The other 88% who don't attend Mass don't take Mass seriously as they have been exposed to all kinds of banal abuses that has denigrated the importance of the Mass for their salvation in their minds and hearts.