In the post below this one, the good cardinal says the Liturgy of Pope Paul VI did not revise the Mass as Vatican II envisioned by Sacrosanctum Concilium!
Ao I trust that you have read SC and understand that it should be followed. Without having SC in front of me, let me highlight what I see as indispensable:
1. Latin to be retained, but some vernacular, Pope Benedict models the future with the preface, Canon and Pater Noster in Latin
2. Noble simplicity without useless repetition
3. More lavish use of Scripture, I say SC was implemented in the lectionary
4. Actual participation--the laity must have actual participation in their parts and strict rubrics for their postures
5. Inculturation through art and style of chant but very conservatively
6. Gregorian chant the norm for the Mass parts themselves
So, don't expect the 2002 revised Missal to be dumped but plan to see:
A. The EF Order of Mass restored
B. The Prayers at the Foot of the Altar restored but responded to by the laity even in a sung Mass, but without the double Confiteor
C. Restoration of the traditional Offertory Prayers
D. Communion Rite as in the OF (beginning with Pater Noster and through the Mass's dismissal) with the option of the Last Gospel
E. Revised Roman Calendar as the Amglican Ordinariate has done
I think certain musical instruments should be suppressed such as piano, tambourines, snare drums and guitars.
Of course the norm for the Mass would be Ad Orientem as well as kneeling for Holy Communion and intinction the norm for the laity.
All that I write could happen by papal order today with catches is first and implementation Advent of 2013.
So keeping SC 's normative requests in mind how would you revise the Mass keeping in mind that the 2002 missal itself will not be discarded.