Friday, December 19, 2014
LONGING FOR AN OLD FASHIONED CHRISTMAS
But my father would have none of that. It had to be a Frazier Fir from Nova Scotia. Anyway, he had noted in the newspaper where people had placed electric lights on these aluminum trees, against all the warnings on the package, and had either be electrocuted or their tree caught fire and burned down the house and killed the family.
But really, was he exaggerating? Did this really happen? He didn't even want us to get those Christmas lights that had water in them and would bubble when they reached a certain temperature. He knew for sure we'd all be electrocuted on those too!
But he didn't prevent Santa Claus, a baptized Catholic Chinese Pug (now in heaven), Christmas trees on a box and toy police cars. I should be grateful! And yes, that's our first television set bought from Sears around 1958! I remember the day it arrived like it was yesterday!