Translate

Saturday, September 24, 2022

MIDNIGHT MASS: IT ISN’T WHAT YOU THINK!!!

 




Now that I am in active retirement, I have rediscovered television and watching TV shows and movies on TV thanks to a free subscription to Netflix and Apple-TV which comes with my cell phone subscription. 

I’ve gotten hooked on several series, shows and movies and watched them diligently. For the last several decades, I had no favorite TV shows, never went to the movies and only watched TCM but because I went to bed early, I seldom watched full shows. 

I never recorded shows to watch later as there wasn’t anything I wanted to watch now or later.

That has changed with Netflix and the ability to watch what I want and when I want.

Right now I am watching the series “Manifest” which is science fiction and fun to watch, exciting.

I just starting watching a limited series of seven shows on show 3 now, of Midnight Mass.

This is what Wikipedia says about it:

Midnight Mass is an American supernatural horror streaming television miniseriescreated and directed by Mike Flanagan and starring Zach GilfordKate SiegelHamish LinklaterSamantha SloyanRahul KohliKristin Lehman, and Henry Thomas. The plot centers on an isolated island community that experiences supernatural events after the arrival of a mysterious priest.[1]

It was released on Netflix on September 24, 2021,[2] and received positive reviews

My comments on Midnight Mass: I have to say, that whoever produced this, has had help from a priest or someone quite knowledgeable about Catholic theology and post-Vatican II liturgy and parish life. The actor who plays the priest does a great job and he’s preached a couple of great homilies that were meaningful, theologically accurate and inspiring as well as short! That is thanks to the writers and his acting ability and can certainly be applied to any good Catholic preacher too who needs to write good, short homilies and act it out well!

In one scene in Ordinary Time, he wears a green chasuble which is exactly as one I have worn for years, exactly. 

The first scene with him celebrating Mass, he uses the old English translation for the consecration. I thought the director/writer simply didn’t know that it had been changed over a decade ago. But later after Mass, a parishioner comes up to the priest and thanks him for the older English translation which he had not heard in over a decade!!!!!!

This is a horror film but very Catholic in theme, but not anti-Catholic, but Catholicism figures greatly into like the Exorcist movie did. Who knows what will happen in subsequent episodes, only 7 all total. But I recommend it highly, from the Catholic point of view as well as from the entertainment and horror point of view especially as we enter the season of Halloween 🎃!

No comments: