Translate

Saturday, April 23, 2022

A REAL ITALIAN BLOGGER’S RECIPE FOR AN ITALIAN FAVORITE OFTEN MADE IN THE WRONG WAY

 Pasta Amatriciana comes from the Italian town in northern Italy’s province of Lazio called Amatricia. The original recipe was for shepherds to make in the mountains with only a few ingredients so they didn’t need to carry around too much. Originally, it may have not included tomatoes or simply peeled fresh tomatoes. They would not have had canned tomatoes and fresh tomatoes were seasonal. Thus it would have been pasta, pecorino Romano cheese and Guanciale which is from the pork cheek and is cured and didn’t need refrigeration. 

Of course Italians make due with what they have. Today, truly authentic Pasta Amatriciana is made with Buccatini Pasta, Peeled canned tomatoes, Pancetta which I substitute for Guanciale since I can’t get it here. (Pancetta is cured pork belly). And that’s it. No added oil, no onions, no garlic, no herbs, no nothing else, not even wine, a mortal sin to add in Amatricia! Water is added to the tomatoes. That’s it.

You can watch my facebook videos of how I made it on Friday night in the Octave of Easter and yes, we are dispensed from any penance on Friday in the Octave of Easter.

My facebook page videos on me making this is HERE!


1 comment:

ByzRus said...

I always understood wine to be anathema in a fresh sauce. I don't really care for it, to me, it adds a funky taste. Bolonase has wine I believe, right Father Chef Allan?? I love Bolonase.