Translate

Monday, March 4, 2013

MY CLAIRVOYANCE AND THE NEW POPE


As you know, I was clairvoyant when I sat next to the then rector of the North American College in Rome, Monsignor Timothy Dolan, who had invited me as vocation direction to an intimate dinner in his seminary apartment with a few other friends of his. This was 1998 and I thought to myself as I watched and heard him and I quote directly from my thoughts as I ate the Italian food in front me and I sat to the right of the good rector who was at the head of the table: "This man would make a great archbishop of New York!"

I kid you not, I actually thought that and I told others what I thought after that meal! I kid you not!

Well, my clairvoyance, and I have it on this blog somewhere, but don't have time to look it up, has led me to predict that the Archbishop of New York who, low and below is not only the Archbishop of New York, but also a cardinal and on top of that a cardinal-elector of the next pope, the one and same Cardinal Timothy Dolan, I have predicted that he "could" be the next pope. Yes, I predicted that! And you know my clairvoyance about these things, because I have touted it so much here, but maybe not.

So, if Timothy Cardinal Dolan becomes the next pope, may I most humbly suggest that he adjust some of his "a little too much down-to-earth, slap you on the back and say outrageous, silly things antics?" I know many people love this sort of thing, and that is precisely the point, we don't want the cult of the personality again in the papacy, we need continuity in this regard with His Holiness, Benedict XVI, Pontifex Maximus Emeritus!

So these are my most humble suggestions to the possible new Holy Father, Pope Timothy I (?):

1. When on radio or television or in public, like general audiences, don't talk with your mouth full of food which you do on your radio program on Sirus/XM radio! That is uncouth for a deacon, priest, bishop, cardinal or pope to do, for anyone to do, child or adult!!!!!

2. Don't act silly in public and say silly, witty things, like in interview by a reporter who asks if you might be pope and you state I thought this was ABC news not Comedy Central.

3. Don't have a pitcher of beer next to you at your general audiences and take swigs of it between sentences or during sentences.

4. Don't overwhelm people with your gestures and forced smiles, especially at Mass.

5. Don't take on the trappings of a politician, celebrity or other cult figure in public by glad handing and slapping others on the back.

6. Be pontifically proper, wear lace albs, Roman chasubles and do the EF Mass

7. If you go into the conclave as pope and come out as cardinal, return to your New York Cathedral and get rid of the faux altar in front of the magnificent free standing altar under the baldacchino of St. Patrick's and start using it again even when facing the congregation. At least then you'll feel like you are at the papal altar.

17 comments:

Henry said...

Based, on past performance, if Cardinal Dolan were elected Pope, he would set a new low in papal liturgy, at the opposite extreme from the new high Benedict XVI set. Because of his disastrous example, all the momentum of the reform of the reform would be dissipated. I hope and trust that my own perfect clairvoyance in this does not have the opportunity of confirmation.

Rood Screen said...

Our bishop has forbidden us to speculate on the next pope, but I will say that it troubles me how many people say they loved John Paul II, but hated his teachings. When personality becomes more important than truth among members of the global flock, something has gone wrong.

Frank Stein said...

Look, I like Dolan, I really do, but he just doesn't have the dignity and "gravitas" one expects from a papal candidate. It's hard to even find a photo of him without his mouth wide open, often laughing, and the Church is in a state that has little to laugh about. He says all the right things, but he doesn't quite do them. He has spoken well about various issues, but he doesn't seem to have enough spine to actually bring any sanction against the Judas Catholic politicians who support abortion and gay rights. He talks the talk, but that's about where it stops. He's very good with the press, but he comes across sort of like the manager of a championship baseball team--think Tommy Lasorda. A VERY likable man, no doubt, but pope? Let's hope not.

Rood Screen said...

The Church needs leaders with little confidence in themselves but great confidence in the Lord. Liturgically speaking, the Mass needs celebrants with little confidence in themselves but great confidence in the Lord.

Bret said...

Don't worry. If there were to be an American elected pope, it would be Cardinal Burke. Cardinal Dolan is the MSM pick, therefore he will not get elected.

Anonymous said...

A bishop has no authority (or right) to forbid speculation among the clergy or laity of his diocese on who will be the next pope.

Templar said...

Don't believe it would be an American, but if it were let us pray it is not Dolan. Burke I would rejoice.

WSquared said...

"but I will say that it troubles me how many people say they loved John Paul II, but hated his teachings."

Oh, *bleah*!

In other words, Father Shelton, you're right: that's troubling, with good reason.

rcg said...

Fr Shelton. I remember hearing that, too, and wondering what their problem was.

My concern with Cardinal Dolan is his relatively light work in Theology and Liturgy. I have really enjoyed Benedict's work and think his background has made a huge difference in the move toward continuity that I hope will continue.

I like what I have found about Shoenborn.

ytc said...

8. DO NOT SKIP THE PENITENTIAL ACT AT MASS. He does this every time...

Mr. Anonymous, I suspect a bishop does have the right to forbid his priests from speculating on the next pope.

Anonymous said...

ytc - On what would you base that suspicion?

Joseph Johnson said...

I love hats too--in fact I have been wearing my grey fedora (similar to the black one Dolan is wearing) regularly these last few cold days. However, if Card. Dolan becomes pope, he will have to get used to the red saturno with gold trimmings in place of the black fedora.

As to being "pontifically proper," I have seen at least one photo of Card. Dolan wearing a nice lace-trimmed alb with his vestments. Admittedly, I'd feel better about him (or any other potential pope) if he also would sometimes wear Roman chasubles and use episcopal gloves (as is de riguer for SSPX bishops). Certainly he should know how and should, at least sometimes, celebrate the EF (for that matter, so should every Catholic bishop!).

Dolan is not my first choice for pope. The National Schismatic Reporter has a very nice profile on my favorite, Card. Ranjith!

Gregorian Mass said...

Dolan does need to pay a bit more attention to the Traditional Communities in NY and consider allowing us to have a TLM in St. patrick's Cathedral again. The last was in 1996. People are asking for it and it remains an unanswered request. Please, we are talking about supporting the Pope Emeritus' initiatives. Just admiring him as he leaves but dragging feet while he was requesting and suggesting what he wanted the EF to become was not admirable on his part. Dolan needs to step up a few things.

Gregorian Mass said...

I do wish for LLovera as Pius XIII or Bagnasco as Leo XIV...

Gene said...

It'll probably be somebody we never heard of.

John Lytton said...

It will be Cardinal Mahony. He will immediately be zapped by the Holy Spirit and convert to the Catholic faith. His installation Mass will be a TLM and he will do penance at the feet of Mother Angelica.

Anonymous said...

My only worry is that the liturgical status quo will remain if Dolan is elected. I mean, God's will be done, but it really feels like progress has been made recently, and it would be sad to see that come to a halt.